Ivy laundry: Economical and ecological!
Ivy is a very good alternative to traditional chemical laundry. Thanks to this very easy to find plant, you can wash your clothes in a natural and ecological way while saving money! These leaves contain between 5 and 8% saponin and it is this substance with foaming and detergent action that makes it possible to make a laundry product. It is therefore this substance that we are trying to extract from the leaves of ivy to make laundry.
The recipe for ivy laundry, step by step:
Ingredients: 100 grams of ivy leaves, 1 liter of water and a few drops of essential oils (optional). Utensils: Gloves, bottle, chisel, old saucepan, wooden spatula, skimmer, funnel and cloth
1. Pick 100 g of ivy leaves (by hand or with a chisel). Be sure to wear gloves because the sheet contains allergenic substances that can irritate your skin.
2. Run the leaves under water to remove impurities (insects, dust, etc.) and cut the ivy leaves into small pieces.
3. Then put the leaves in a saucepan with 1 liter of water. Bring to a boil (while stirring occasionally) and cook for another 15 min (this time over low heat).
5. Remove from the heat and let the decoction macerate for about 24 hours. This maceration time allows the saponin to free itself from the leaves and to mix with the water.
6. At the end of these 24 hours, remove the leaves from the pan using a skimmer. Hand wring the leaves. You notice that this action creates foam.
7. Get your funnel, a piece of cloth and your container. Insert the cloth into the funnel to filter out the impurities and pour the preparation into the bottle. Here is your detergent is ready for use!
Usage tips : You can add a few drops of essential oils to scent your linens. Shake the bottle before use. One glass is enough for one laundry. The preparation can be kept for about 3 weeks without preservative.
I hope this recipe has reconciled you with this despised wild plant too often mistakenly considered a “weed”! And you, have you ever tried ivy laundry detergent, do not hesitate to leave a comment to tell us about it.